Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 7 November 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Alex Brown, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek. Apologies: Ian Douglas, Dan Phillips.

Minutes of October meeting and matters arising: Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are five standing “Clear Or Quit” notices and three Non-renewals Of Tenancy. The waiting list stands at fifty-five. We welcome cordially one new plot holder and there is one empty plot. It was resolved that the site will be re-divided among the extant Committee for the purposes of monitoring for neglect etc. (Sue also attended the Cardiff Allotments Site Representatives’ meeting and the CAHA meeting in October). AP Sue.

Storage unit. Alex has offered to investigate possible funding from a company, which has an undertaking to make environmental offsets for some of its activities. That money would be used to lessen the unit’s impact on the local visual amenity, and on wildlife etc. AP Alex.

Hedge Cutting. This is now finished for the season. Sincere thanks again to the volunteer.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. Sue has sent the letters to the current bed holders, informing them that the beds will be subject to a draw-by-lottery in December. (The beds will be allocated to the winners on a named-user-only, non-transferable basis). Sue has had several applications to date. She reminds plot holders that the closing date is the end of this month, November. AP Sue.

Programme of works.

i) It was agreed that the large communal compost bin near plot 48 and the old shop needs tidying. AP Alex. [Update: please note that this arrangement has been discontinued at all locations on site in accordance with Council rules, and PPAA intend to remove all remaining compost in due course. Would all plot holders please deal with composting on their own plots or remove it from site as our Rules Of Tenancy require – thanks] 

Note: Ian messaged to say that he also intends to work on this during the next few weeks.

ii) The position re cubicles was discussed again. A quote has been obtained and is under consideration. However, we now have a date for the Brick Shed Working Group meeting, organised by the Council’s Allotments Officer, Celia Hart. It is to be on 10 01 18 and Sue will attend. We await further developments.

Fires. The Council has not yet sent the letter to plot holders.

Asbestos. The Council still have no approved removal contractor.

Committee numbers. There have been no volunteers as yet, but a few people had been identified, who had implied in conversation that they might be interested. AP all.

Fly tipping/tree waste dumping/manure/woodchip supplies. We learn that Dave King has a contact at the Council, and that this officer may be able to arrange supplies of such material. We understand that Dave has said to him that PPAA would be very pleased to accept some of it. AP Tim.

There have been no serious incidents of unauthorised tipping of late.

Water supply. The water is now turned off for the winter. We warmly thank Gary Berriman for clearing the sediment in the trough near his plot. We would heartily encourage everyone to do this too. There is a report of a leak near plot 58A. It has been passed on to the Council. AP all.

Gardening Tutorials. Michele Fitzsimmons is available after February for tutorials on pruning fruit trees and bushes. She has quoted her fee. It was proposed to use the “orchard” area for these, and to extend the invitation to allotmenteers across Cardiff. A nominal attendance fee was proposed, to cover her quote and to firm up numbers. AP Ray.

Shop. As at last month, the Council have still not clarified their position regarding the site shop operation. So as it stands PPAA, notably the signatories to the Local Management Agreement, cannot actively endorse any activities which might turn out to be unlawful.

Potentially usable land behind polytunnel. An approach for beginning clearance was discussed. AP Alex.

New Items

Rats: Sue. Tony Robinson has been liaising assiduously with the Council on this. He has shown Pest Control the affected areas, after gathering information from plot holders. We thank him cordially for his work.

We also remind all plot holders to report rats in accordance with the notices, originally written by Tony, on the noticeboards and on the website, and to follow carefully the advice for minimising their presence.

Spine road. Fly-tipping over the fence: Sue. Ian has affixed notices at particular problem points, but there is a large amount rubbish in the park, apparently from plot holders. Ray offered to organise another litter pick next month. AP Ray.

Note: Ray has since organised a Litter Pick of Site. He has contacted Dave King, and the latter will make available all the kit. He will arrange for the waste to be picked up afterwards. It will be on Sunday 10th December. Meet at 10.00 am, at the lock up next to the shop. All volunteers will be warmly welcomed!

Plot holders are reminded again that such actions are a serious breach of the terms of tenancy.

Budget Plan: received from Dan. It is anticipated that there will be significant outlay on the brick cubicles before long. There is also the boreholes project under consideration, along with on-going costs to private contractors for waste removal and for other site maintenance.

CAHA donation: Sue. CAHA are a self-funding group of volunteers, who assist all allotment sites and associations across Cardiff. Last year they were instrumental in helping us to secure our LMA Grant which was under threat, and being withheld. It was unanimously agreed that a donation of £50 was the least that we could do to express our gratitude and support. AP Wendy.

CAHA are having a Skittles Night in January. Final date TBA.

CAHA Secretary Lynne Lewis is retiring, and they are looking for someone to replace her.

Hedgehog release: Alex. In his work with the Hedgehog Helpline, Alex has been releasing these rescued animals on site. Gardeners could not have better friends, and we ask that plot holders make theirs as safe for them as they reasonably can. In particular abandoned coils of netting are a danger to them, and slug pellets, if used, should be in accordance with their instructions, that is, scattered only thinly.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2022. The next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 05 12 17, at 1900.

Private Deliveries to Site

Please remember if you wish to arrange any private deliveries to your plot, be it manure, wood chip or any other materials, you must be there in person to supervise the delivery onto your plot.

Any materials dumped elsewhere will be treated as fly tipping.

This is for everyone’s benefit, and I am sure your fellow plot holders will appreciate not having the car park blocked by unwanted piles of rotting wood chip, for instance.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 3 October 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ian Douglas, Alex Brown, Ray Edwards, Dan Phillips, Martin Pasek. Apologies: None received.

Minutes of August meeting and matters arising – Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are two standing “Clear Or Quit” notices and two Terminations of Tenancy. The waiting list stands at sixty-five with a waiting time of about fifteen months. Tim asked Sue if Committee members had reported anything to her but she shook her head. AP all.

Storage unit. No news on the eco roof, but see under AOB.

Hedge Cutting. The Committee were pleased to hear that an independent volunteer plot holder had apparently taken matters in hand to some extent, and all said that they were ready to give the necessary guidance and support. Sue to contact with thanks.

Treasurer’s hand-over. Wendy said that the Council now had updated its payment particulars to enable payment straight to the PPAA account.

LMA Grant Year 2017/18. Wendy said re insurance that a quote from Zurich came in £67.35 cheaper than that from Shield, including personal liability. Aspects of risk assessment were discussed. It was resolved to go with the quote.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. Sue said that she needed to send letters to the seven current bed holders, informing them that the beds will be subject to a draw-by-lottery in December. The beds will be allocated to the winners on a named-user-only, non-transferable basis. AP Sue.

Programme of works. There have been no suggestions from plot holders. A re-scheduled walkabout on Sunday, 15.10.17 has been proposed for the Committee, and to include canvassing. AP all.

Fires. No one mentioned having received the letter from the Council as yet.

Asbestos. No news from the Council.

Brick cubicles. The Council Working Group still has yet to meet. There has been little local interest among plot holders in self-help solutions so far. The situation is to be assessed on the walkabout. The Committee resolved to spend funds on improvements if there is no action by the Council soon. Ways to obtain best VFM were discussed.

Committee numbers. There were a few reports of plot holders expressing interest, but not many. Members said that they would continue to ask round. Sue clarified her position as being willing to stand again as Site Secretary, provided that the burdens of the rôle were not unreasonable. The Committee asked Sue to inform them of any ways in which they could share the workload of matters incidental to, but not central to the Site Secretary’s function. AP all.

AOB

Fly tipping/tree waste dumping-Sue. Background (as minuted earlier this year): Following years of unrestricted dumping of tree waste by a contractor, a large part of the car park became unusable, and filled with rotted material that no one wanted to use. That has now been cleared. PPAA now has just one authorised supplier, Mike Boyer, and the previous contractor has been instructed to cease. The Council have requested by letter the return of their key. Mike Boyer is contacted whenever a bay becomes empty, but not before. However, it appears that unauthorised dumping has still been taking place. There also appeared to be a vexatious tipping of rubble and of other waste in the pen, now cleared by volunteer effort. A plot holder recently informed a Committee representative when asked, that from time-to-time he would contact the previous supplier, and ask him to deposit tree shreddings for him, and that this might be in the pen. The plot holder was asked please not to do this again. A letter to him, explaining the formal position (that is, that he is arguably asking an agent to fly-tip on his behalf) was resolved. All plot holders are reminded, that if they request a delivery of any kind from a contractor, then it must be to their plot and to nowhere else, and that they must supervise the arrival and the departure of people and of vehicles in person.

Marker posts removal-Wendy. Wendy remarked that those near her plot had been taken and used for stakes. She has replaced them. Ian offered to replace any others found missing.

Water supply-Tim. In the interests of keeping the bill down, it was agreed that the water could now be turned off by Friday. AP Tim.

Containers’ appearance-Alex. There were suggestions as to how to improve this, including by hiding with hedging, by painting with landscape colours, or by decorating with artwork. Alex is to speak to Dave King.

Gardening Tutorials-Dan. Michele Fitzsimmons is already offering courses, as publicised on the PPAA website. Dan and Ray offered to approach her re specific courses for PPAA, including topics such as fruit tree pruning. AP Dan, Ray.

Unauthorised adverts etc.-Ray. The Council have still not clarified their position regarding the site shop operation. So as it stands PPAA, notably the signatories to the Local Management Agreement, cannot actively endorse any activities which might turn out to be unlawful.

Potentially usable land behind polytunnel-Ian. Ian proposed a working party, to apply weedkiller, and to dig out, and to sort the rubbish, prior to its removal by a contractor, as a cost-saver. He also offered to approach the Council about the large diseased tree overhanging from the park. The ideas were approved.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2012. The next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 07/11/2017 at 1900.

Vehicles on the PPA Site

A couple of incidents recently have shown that it’s perhaps necessary for the Committee to remind plot holders of some points.

Light vehicles are accepted on site, but on the basis of toleration, and on the condition that they cause no problems. There is no absolute right to bring them onto site however.

So far as we can maintain it, a live-and-let-live approach seems to be sensible in this regard.

Normally, drivers should park their vehicles in the customary car parks, and then walk to their plots. There are also a few patches of unused shady land etc., which may be used on an ad hoc basis here and there too.

Sometimes, e.g. for loading and for unloading, people may wish to park next to their plots. This is fine, but please move them so that they are not blocking the tracks as soon as this is completed. If requested by a fellow plot holder to move your vehicle then please do so, without hesitation, as already stated the tracks are not car parks.

The tracks around the site have been there for generations, to allow access on foot for growers, perhaps pushing wheelbarrows, or carrying water. Plot holders do have an absolute right to do this, and vehicles in their way are a nuisance.

These tracks are not in any way the highway, so please give way to pedestrians at all times, and drive with the utmost care, keeping your speed to less than 10 mph being a must.

Plot holders are reminded that if they then choose not to comply with, or respect, the rules of The Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association, they are at risk of having their tenancy withdrawn.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 8 August 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ian Douglas, Alex Brown, Martin Pasek. Apologies: Ray Edwards, Dan Phillips.

Minutes of July meeting and matters arising – Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. We warmly welcome five new tenants. There are four standing “Clear Or Quit” notices. The waiting list stands at fifty. Sue reminded the Committee to look out for untended plots and to keep her informed. AP all.

Storage unit. Dave King is pursuing a grant for the eco roof.

Hedge Cutting. Dave King’s associate (Anthony) has done this. The results were similar to last year. See AOB.

Treasurer’s hand-over. Wendy said that the on line banking was now up-and-running and a Good Thing. It was suggested that Dave King be invited to audit next year’s accounts.

LMA Grant Year 2017/18 – Sue. Matters appear to be progressing normally. Re insurance, Tim said that CAHA’s enquiries potentially promise significant savings through a Group Policy for all sites.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. There has already been some interest in the November draw. A proper form and notice will be forthcoming. AP Sue.

Programme of works. There have been no suggestions from plot holders. A walkabout on Sunday, 27 08 17 has been proposed for the Committee, and to include canvassing. AP all.

Council Site Representatives’ meeting – Sue:

Fires. Following a serious explosion at a site (caused by criminals burning a shed containing a gas canister) the Council are to send a letter to all plot holders, reminding tenants of their terms. That is, no fires nor storage of such materials on site are permitted.

Boreholes. Forest Farm report that theirs is working well. The Council are monitoring with a view to extending across sites.

Asbestos. The Council are still waiting for a reliable tender. Until one is found, there can be no removal.

Promotion. There is a scheme at Rhydypennau, where single raised beds are let out to newcomers, or to others who are not sure as to their aptitude to encourage them to try. There was a discussion as to similar possibilities for PPAA.

Brick cubicles. The Council Working Group has yet to meet. This is expected in September. There was a discussion about various “self-help” possibilities.

AOB

Hedge cutting and wildlife issues. Background: In July 2016 Anthony (Dave King’s associate) cut the hedge using a small generator and electric hedge trimmer. There was no evidence of any harm to wildlife, and no complaints were received. He was invited by Tim to do the same this year on the assumption that he would do a similar job. The proposal has been in the previous two months’ Committee minutes, and no objections to it were received. However, an email has since been received from a plotholder, claiming that wildlife has been harmed by the recent use of a petrol cutter. A Committee volunteer has inspected the hedge carefully, and no conclusive evidence that this season’s nests were disturbed was found by him. However, we accept that such disturbance is still possible. The complainant was invited by the Site Secretary to attend this meeting but did not. The Committee take wildlife conservation seriously. The use of the petrol cutter was not anticipated. Next year the cut will not take place until mid-August at the earliest, along RSPB guidelines. The contractor will be given a detailed brief. Those concerned by overgrowth in the meantime (e.g. car drivers) are urged to volunteer for the interim hand prunings, indeed, to organise themselves in this regard.

Committee numbers – Tim. The Committee were very sorry to hear Tim say that he will not be standing for Chair again at the next AGM. Along with Gary’s resignation, and with Martin’s redesignation, this means that there is a need to increase numbers serving. There was a discussion as to potential nominees for the posts, and as to ways to stimulate interest generally. Alex proposed a role for someone, as a Social Secretary to promote a sense of community and engagement on the site. AP all.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2020. The next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 26/09/2017 at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 11 July 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn, Sue Jones, Wendy Gunter, Ian Douglas, Alex Brown, Gary Reed. Apologies: Ray Edwards, Dan Phillips, Martin Pasek.

Minutes of June meeting and matters arising – Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. See AOB report.

Storage unit. Tim is still to hear from Dave King re progress on the eco-friendly roof. AP Tim.

Hedge Cutting. Dave King’s associate (Anthony) is to do this, and a date is to be set. He is also to be asked re suppressing the sycamores overwhelming the hedge. AP Tim.

Treasurer’s hand-over. Wendy is setting up on-line banking. AP Wendy.

Comment from plot holder re Committee and Constitution. It was agreed that a vote to change the Constitution should be held at the next AGM, to make possible better use of the goodwill, and of the abilities, of all of those associated with PPAA. The particulars of that mechanism, and the wording of the envisaged resolution are yet to be discussed in detail.

LMA Grant Year 2017/18-Sue. There has been no news from Celia, but all our information was sent at the end of May. Sue has sent email to ask as to progress. Tim will contact CAHA for help. He will also seek advice on getting the best insurance deal. AP Sue, Tim.

New Items

Financial accountability, spending limits. It was resolved that the Site Secretary can spend no more than £250 per occasion without prior Committee approval, and that other Committee members may spend no more than £20 without consultation. However, they may spend up to £40 with consultation. Receipts are to be produced in all cases.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. A draw is to be held in November 2017, on the basis of all the beds being equally available to all PPAA plot holders. The tenures will start from 01 01 2018. AP TBA.

AOB

Resignation. Gary Reed is to resign from the Committee, to take a two-year post in China. We thank him cordially for all his work and help, and wish him the very best in his venture.

Site Secretary’s update. We are very pleased to welcome seven new plot holders. There are six extant Clean-Or-Quit notices. The waiting list is now down to thirty-eight.

Two-year programme of works. Further to Ian’s invitation at the AGM, it was envisaged that ideas would have crystallised by the August meeting. Plotholders are reminded that their suggestions are welcomed.

There was no further business, and the next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 08/08/2017 at 1900.

Rats on PPA

If anyone should see rats, and suspect a nest or infestation, then could they please contact the Council’s Allotment Officer, Celia Hart.

She’ll arrange for a Pest Controller to visit the site. There’s no charge for this.

Celia Hart, email Allotments@cardiff.gov.uk

The best way to avoid rats on our site is to ensure that NO cooked, processed or harvested foods are left out for them, and that bird feeders etc. are inaccessible to them.

A tidy plot also provides few suitable nesting places for them, so please could everyone keep theirs free of junk.

Kind regards,

Sue Jones

(Site Secretary)

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 6 June 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn, Sue Jones, Wendy Gunter, Ray Edwards, Gary Reed, Martin Pasek. Apologies: Ian Douglas, Dan Phillips, Alex Brown.

Minutes of May meeting/AGM and matters arising – Tim

Secretary’s Duties. Sue reminded the Committee to keep her informed as to untended plots. AP all.

Website. Alex has renamed the Blog tab as “Noticeboard”. NFAR.

Plot numbering. Mostly complete. NFAR.

Storage unit. Tim to approach Dave King re progress on eco-friendly roof. AP Tim.

Hedge Planting/Cutting. Ian Douglas is to organise whip planting. Tim is to speak to Dave King re his associate and a midsummer hedge trim as last year. AP Tim.

Plot behind polytunnel. Working party and scope to be determined with a view to an Autumn start. AP all.

Plant sale. After the success of the main event, the follow-up was perhaps a little disappointing. NFAR.

Treasurer’s hand-over. Wendy requested that previous records be easily accessible, and asked for precision as to her responsibilities. Tim to speak to Dave King. AP Tim.

AGM. All agreed that it had been a straightforward, successful and informative meeting. NFAR.

Diseased sycamores by SE gate and by polytunnel. Nothing to report. Ian has had no reply from Iona Gordon.

Fly-tipping. Plot holders are reminded that it is their duty to compost on their plots, or to remove completely from site any unwanted material, and that dumping around the site puts at risk their tenancy. AP all.

Gate security. Appears to be improving, with fewer incidents of the Western Avenue gate being left open unattended. NFAR.

Theft from plots. No further incidents reported. NFAR.

AGM. As previously minuted. NFAR.

How to deal with overgrown plots due to long term illness – Sue. It was agreed that this is a difficult and delicate area, and that thought is needed to resolve an effective yet sensitive policy. AP all.

Comment from plot holder re Committee and Constitution- Sue. Martin pointed out that as the Constitution stood, there was an apparent difficulty, and requested that he be re-designated as Committee Support Volunteer. It was agreed that no previous votes would have been affected by the change, had it been in force at the time. The possibility of changing the Constitution to enable better use of available volunteer effort and abilities was raised for future consideration. Alex to change website Committee information. AP Martin, Alex.

Auditing of accounts prior to AGM. Normally, a Fit And Proper Person, meaning a plot holder who is not a Committee member, would audit them prior to the AGM, that is declare that he or she is satisfied with them. After the AGM they would be passed to the Council. This year, the accounts were published on the PPAA website. There were no complaints and they have now been accepted as correct by the Council. It was resolved that next year’s accounts will be subject to the formal procedure. NFAR

Water trough damage. Some plot holders appear to have attempted adjustments in the past causing damage and overflow. The Committee should remind all that the water bill is a main cost, and to report leaks and malfunctions. Where possible troughs will be made more tamper proof. AP all.

LMA Grant Year 2017/18. It was resolved that PPAA would sign for LMA Level 2 for three years, with Sue and Tim as Parties, and with Wendy as Witness. AP Tim, Sue, Wendy.

AOB

Path maintenance – Wendy. The Committee should remind plot holders, that under their terms of tenancy, the maintaining and the keeping clear of paths between their plots is a shared duty for them. All plot holders anywhere have a right to use those paths unhindered. AP all.

Trees forming hedges, encroaching onto tracks – Gary. The Committee should remind plot holders, that under their terms of tenancy, hedges may not be planted, and that nothing of any sort should encroach onto the tracks either. AP all.

Rats – Ray. Anyone aware of rats should report the matter directly to the Council allotments officer, Celia Hart, who will refer to pest control. (As detailed in the notice at the Western Avenue board). Repeat notice at SE gate. AP Martin.

There was no further business, and the meeting concluded at 2030. The next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 04/07/2017 at 1900.

2017 AGM Minutes

Present: Tim Llewellyn; David King; Ian Douglas; Gary Reed; Sue Jones; Martin Pasek; Dan Phillips; Alex Brown; Jane Williams; Monica Nobrega; Roger Phillips; Sue Waring; Nick Morris; Gail Chester; Jana Horak; Dick Waters; Rhiannon Simmonds; plus eight other non-signers including Adrian Walsh and Alan Turner.

Guests: Gareth Holden and Lynn Lewis, Chair and Secretary CAHA.

Apologies: Wendy Gunter; Ray Edwards.

The meeting began at 10:30am.

Chairman’s Welcome. Tim thanked the Committee for all their work over the year. It was generally agreed that the site was looking in better shape than it was a year back. In particular, thanks to Ian Douglas for the plant sale, to Alex Brown for the website, to Sue Jones for plot letting, and to Dave King for Treasurer’s duties.

Treasurer’s report. Dave King handed out an account summary, and reported a healthy balance, with about £10,000 available to spend, not being earmarked. He broke down the “general” heading main items as purchase of Heras fencing for the pens, and tractor hire for clearing the car parks. There were no questions and the accounts were duly accepted.

Election of officers. Secretary: Sue Jones was nominated by Tim Llewellyn, seconded by Alex Brown and carried. Treasurer: Wendy Gunter was nominated by Martin Pasek, seconded by Gary Reed and carried. The proposal to return the rest of the Committee was carried. Tim Llewellyn was re-elected as Chair, having been nominated by Dan Phillips and seconded by Gary Reed.

CAHA. Gareth Holden, Chair, and Llyn Lewis, Secretary, both gave interesting and informative speeches about the role of CAHA, and the relationship of sites to it. They reminded us that we are all members. Helpful advice on progressing Local Management was included, and the scope for CAHA taking on more of the Council’s present responsibilities was outlined. On July 29th there is to be a celebration for all Cardiff allotment holders. It will be a “safari supper” and barbecue, venue TBA. On July 16th there is to be an Open Day at Rhyd y Pennau, an Open Gardens Society site. All are welcome.

AOB. Ian Douglas urged all plotholders to come to the Committee with any ideas for improvements or requests that might come to them at any time.

Dick Waters asked, re the Local Management Agreement, whether PPAA was aiming to become totally self-managed. CAHA pointed out that at the present level (two) there is no responsibility for water infrastructure.

Dick also asked, in relation to CAHA’s proposed increase in responsibility for themselves, what would happen to title to the land in the various sites. We understood from Gareth, that the Council would retain the freehold, even if, say, subject to a lease in CAHA’s favour.

It was agreed that these were all matters for further discussion.

We were informed that CAHA is now incorporated, as a legal entity, with Limited Liability, which enables clarity in undertakings with the Council.

Adrian Walsh asked why CAHA wanted to take more control. The response was that there was some dissatisfaction with the Council’s handling of allotments, and that CAHA want to be a body to support all allotments in Cardiff, to protect the vulnerable ones, and to have better control of funding.

Tim thanked CAHA for attending.

Adrian asked why the Western Avenue gate was being closed on a Sunday morning, when the shop was open. The Committee re-iterated its position, which is stated on the PPAA website, in the notices on both notice boards, and on the signs on the gates. That is, that in the interests of site security, and in accordance with the terms of tenancy, no gate is ever left unlocked unattended.

There was no further business and the meeting closed at 11:10am.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotments Association – 9 May 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn; Dave King; Ian Douglas; Alex Brown; Dan Phillips; Martin Pasek; Gary Reed; Wendy Gunter.

Apologies: Sue Jones; Ray Edwards.

New committee member. Tim welcomed Wendy to the PPAA committee as Treasurer-elect.

Secretary’s duties. Tim completed an inspection of the site up to the plot 76 row recently and provided Sue with details of those not being tended. Sue has raised the question of the onerous paper work involved with new tenants who fail to pursue their interest. We shall discuss further at next month’s meeting. This item will remain as a standing agenda item until further notice (AP Sue/all).

Website. Martin asked Alex to rename the blogs tab as noticeboard. (AP Alex).

Plot numbering. We have nearly completed the site numbering; those remaining to be completed asap please. (AP all).

Storage. Dave is looking into acquiring an eco friendly roof for our new container, and will report back. (AP Dave).

Hedge. We are looking to fill gaps in the hedge and Ian will obtain whips to take this task forward. A working party can then be organised to plant them. (AP Ian).

Area behind polytunnel. We are looking into clearing the debris behind the poly tunnel. Dave has arranged for a contractor to visit later this week to quote for the job. (AP Dave).

Asbestos/ brick sheds. Sue has joined the council-led brick shed project; next meeting set for May. Dan will help with the numbering of the sheds. (AP Sue/Dan).

Thank You. The committee would like to say a big thank you to Dave for his excellent work as treasurer, and committee member. He hopes to continue helping wherever he can.

Plant Sale. The sale is set for Saturday 13 May, with a 10am start. Volunteers will be needed to help set up the trestle tables, so if anyone is willing to help please let the committee know.

AGM. The date for the AGM is Sunday 14 May 2017 at 10.30am. Dave has finalised the 2016/17 accounts for presentation.

Health & Safety. The dying tree adjacent to the shop gate is causing concern. Martin alerted the council 9 months ago, and nothing has been done. Ian will escalate to his local councillor. (AP Ian).

Dumping garden waste. Martin raised the problem of plot holders located near the Western Ave end not using the community composting areas designed for this waste. We decided that the best course of action would be to increase the number of compost bins to better cover all areas of our site. The first task will be to acquire the necessary pallets – Ian and Dave will take this on. Then the committee will arrange a Sunday working party to set them up. (AP Ian/Dave).

Gate security. Wendy raised concern about security procedures as she has had to lock the Western Ave gate after it had been left open. Martin has prepared a notice to explain what should be done. The bottom line is – lock the gate at all times. Failure to do so infringes paragraph 11 of the tenancy agreement.

Petty theft. Every allotment site suffers a degree of petty theft. Experience has shown that good housekeeping (keeping tools out of sight or at home) helps to reduce opportune pilfering. However, if the gate is continually left open we are leaving ourselves more exposed to this kind of theft.

The committee would like to encourage greater involvement from plot holders in the running of the site. Not necessarily sitting on the committee but contributing to useful site projects such as rubbish clearance, filling pot holes, etc. Can those interested please contact your nearest committee member.

Date of next meeting – Tuesday 6 June, Butchers Arms, Canton.