PPAA Committee Members and Helpers
The members and express helpers of the PPAA Committee are as follows:-
- Site Secretary – These duties are presently being shared amongst the Committee, pending appointment to the position. Links on this site to contact the Site Secretary and similar will therefore still work for this purpose.
- Treasurer – Wendy Gunter
- Chair – Richard Masterman
- Other Committee Members – Sue Jones, Jenny Howell, Alan Coombs, Dan Phillips (Polytunnel Co-ordinator)
- Committee Support Volunteers – Martin Pasek
PPAA Committee aim to meet once every month, but may also arrange interim meetings or working groups as the need might arise. The minutes will be displayed on the two site notice boards by the gates, and also be published on this website.
If anyone has any concerns that they wish to be considered for inclusion on the agenda for the next Committee Meeting, then they should not hesitate to get in touch.
Please remember that the Committee are all unpaid volunteers with other demands such as work, caring for family – and their own plots – calling upon their time. Email and contact form requests for their attention should therefore clearly state the matter in relation to which it is asked, so that it may be dealt with efficiently and, where proper, remotely. Demands for meetings on unspecified issues etc. may be forwarded to the Council’s Allotments Officer.
Information about Committee decisions and proposals, on forthcoming events, and as to future plans etc. will be displayed on the two site noticeboards, where appropriate by emailing lists too, and also on this website.
The PPAA AGM is normally held in the Spring. All plot holders are cordially invited to attend, where we’re all able to raise issues, to ask questions, to join the discussions, and to vote on any matter for which one is called. The date and location are usually announced nearer the time, by notices on the two site notice boards, on this website, and often by ones also affixed to the two entrance gates.
There’s a Facebook page for Pontcanna Permanent Allotments. This page is for informal discussion amongst plot holders and others genuinely interested.
Please note, that unlike this website – which works in close co-operation with PPAA Committee – this Facebook group isn’t associated with them. If anyone wants an issue to be considered for inclusion on the meeting agenda by them, then they should contact PPAA Committee .
Please note that the provisions stated – e.g. regarding tool loan, which is not presently possible – are only so far as reasonably practicable, given availability of volunteer effort, affordability of insurance and so on. The reference to HarlechGC is an anachronism, this having been formally wound up by the Council and its remaining assets transferred to PPAA.
Cardiff County Council – Constitution for an Allotment Association
The Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association
(1) To promote the interests of allotment holders and to take joint action for the benefit of members
(2) To co-operate with any committee set up by the government, local authorities and other bodies, to further the interests of allotment holders
(3) To co-operate with any committee, local authority, national or local body set up to provide seeds, potatoes, tools, etc., for allotment holders
(4) To take whatever steps required with the local authority for the good management and cultivation of allotment gardens
(5) To protect members from damage, trespass and theft, where possible
(6) To encourage use of allotments and advertise plot vacancies
(7) To arrange lectures, film shows, demonstrations, competitions and other social events
(8) To co-operate with other gardening associations in matters of mutual interest
The Association shall consist of all persons who are current, legal and paid up holders of allotment gardens on the Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Site.
All plot holders are entitled to join the Pontcanna Permanent Allotments Association. There are three levels of membership. All members are entitled to vote at Association elections.
Full Membership (£5)
Free use of manure
Free use of wood chip
Free use of PPAA tools
Use of shop (Harlech Gardening Club)
Associate Membership (£2)
Use of the shop only
All other plot holders are members of the PPAA at no charge, but are not able to make use of any of the benefits listed above.
Only full membership entitles plot holders to manure and wood chip.
All members have the right to vote in Association elections.
The Officers shall be a Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary, who shall be ex-officio members of the Committee. They shall be elected at each Annual General Meeting. Retiring Officers shall be eligible for re-election.
The affairs of the Association will be conducted by a Committee of Management of not less than 8 members for the Allotment Site. The Committee will retire at the Annual General Meeting but will be eligible for re-election. Casual vacancies shall be filled by the Committee and the members so appointed shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting. A quorum at Committee meetings shall be not less than 4 members.
7. GENERAL MEETINGS:
The Annual General Meeting, of which seven days’ notice shall be given and at which the audited accounts and Secretary’s report shall be submitted and the officers for the ensuing year elected. If a Special General Meeting is necessary, it must be called by a minimum of ten members at a Committee or a General Meeting. Six members shall form a quorum and in the case of equal voting the Chair shall have a casting vote. Voting shall be on the basis of one vote per allotment holder, irrespective of the number of plots cultivated. Members will be notified in advance of any proposed changes to the Constitution which will be discussed and voted on at a General Meeting. Records of the meeting to be provided to Cardiff County Council.
8. No party political or sectarian discussions shall be raised or resolutions proposed at either Committee or General Meeting.
The Committee shall open a bank account in the name of the Association and all monies received from any source on behalf of the Association shall be paid into such account. Cheques shall be signed by two out of three signatories.
There shall be appointed an auditor, who is not a member of the Committee, to audit the accounts and submit a Report to the Annual General Meeting.
Specimen Text Of Local Management Agreement (“Level 2”)
The current signatories aren’t as shown on the pdf below – which may also be downloaded – but the current agreement is on like terms.