Pesticide and Herbicide Use at PPAA

The PPAA would just like to remind all plot holders that – in common with all Cardiff sites – we are not an organic site, and the use of legal weed killers is allowed. However, awareness of neighbouring plot holders’ wishes not to use chemicals on their plots should be born in mind when using sprays etc. on your own plot, and every effort should be made not to allow chemicals to ‘drift’.

Also the maintenance, and keeping clear of the of the pathways between plots, is the joint responsibility of all the adjoining plot holders. Please remember too, that whether or not you personally need to use a given path by your plot, another plot holder may well do for access to their plot, and to water troughs etc., and every such plot holder is entitled to expect it to be kept clear.

If you want to be sure that your neighbour or another gardener won’t use herbicides on the shared path by your plot, then then only way is to keep it weed-free yourself!

PPA Website Team

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 25 July 2018

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Dan Phillips, Richard Masterman, Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Alex Brown. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Owl nesting boxes. Richard said that he has obtained a quote from a tree surgery contractor to install the two boxes at £320, and with the likely cost of the boxes, this would come to roughly £500 total. He understood that Council consent is required, but has received no responses from several enquiries that he has made so far. The Committee proposed to view this non-response as acquiescence after a reasonable period has elapsed. AP Richard.

Legacy power tools. Richard said that his work re servicing and safety checking the tools was ongoing. AP Richard.

 Following Sue’s enquiry to the Council re possible future tool hire, she learned that other sites do not charge hire, but that Association membership fees cover access to power tools. There is a nominal sum towards fuel and maintenance too. A liability waiver must also be signed by the user. Membership fees in these cases were higher than PPAA’s £5. AP Sue.

It was agreed that when appropriate, the surplus PPAA tools would be offered to PPAA members for first refusal. AP Dan, Richard.

 New Agenda Items – Jenny.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue said that there are two new plot holders on 109B and on 113A. She attended the Brick Shed Working Group meeting on 05/07/18. However, she reported that matters are at a standstill, until the Council’s surveyor has assessed the condition of all cubicles. Dan suggested that, on whatever basis control of them might subsequently be handed to PPAA, the Council arrange for the removal of all remaining asbestos from the roofs first. AP Sue.

The Committee cordially welcome the two new tenants.

Shop – Ian. Ian has spent quite some time sorting through the shop contents, and several issues have been identified. The building is an unpleasant and probably unsafe environment in which to be. There is evidence of a serious rodent problem. There is insufficient light to work safely. There is likely a hazardous fungal spore burden in the air.

The Committee agreed that whilst it might be possible to resolve these problems, until the scope of demand for a shop among plot holders becomes clear, it would be unwise to commit extensive resources to doing this. Sue will publicise on FB etc. AP Sue.

It was agreed that Committee members should think widely about possible ways forward and put these in writing to the Committee Chair by 31st August for distribution to the Committee before the meeting. Any written comments from other plot holders would also be welcome and taken into account. AP all.

The Committee thank Ian, along with Ray and Dan, for their work in connection with the shop.

Any Other Business

Dogs loose on site – Wendy. Wendy said that she had seen two rampaging about people’s plots, but that they perhaps did not belong to a plot holder. Rather they might have been a dog walker’s in the park, and entered, perhaps under a gate.

Plot holders are encouraged to be vigilant, and to try to identify the owners of any loose animals causing problems.

PPAA membership engagement – Dan. Dan expressed concern, that he sometimes perceived a detachment from PPAA as an entity among plot holders. He invited proposals as to how to address this, and suggested events and social functions. Other suggestions included colourful banners or flags on site (as displayed by the RCG) publicising the body and its websites etc. AP all.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1942. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 05/09/2018, at 1900 sharp. (There will be no meeting in August).

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 13 June 2018

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Dan Phillips, Richard Masterman, Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Alex Brown, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: none received.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Increased notice board space. Dan has investigated the pricing and availability of various sizes of board for the purposes discussed. It would cost up to £800 per gate to affix the boards to both sides. It was agreed that the 8 x A4 size would be most suitable. Concern was expressed that they might assist intruders to climb over the gates however. The Western Avenue gate would appear to be least susceptible to this, and so it was proposed to do this one first. It was proposed to invite input from RCG as to their sharing the boards. Sue said that she would approach Celia Hart re repairing the locks on the existing boards. AP Dan, Ray, Sue.

Shop. There have been two expressions of interest re assisting with the running of a proposed site shop, in addition to the Committee members’ initiation offers.

New Agenda Items – Jenny.

Owl nesting boxes / hedgehog boxes. Richard said that these were available from £75 each. They need to be fixed in pairs, at between 3.5m and 7m height in quiet locations. It was proposed to site them on the trees near to the old clubhouse, and to use a tree surgeon to do the necessary work in fixing the boxes. There is only one suitable species, tawny owls. Alex also suggested the purchase of four hedgehog boxes and that was agreed. AP Richard, Alex, Ray.

Legacy power tools. Richard has made a schedule. Two tillers and two strimmers have been identified as suitable for possible future hire to plot holders. Cardiff Mowers will inspect a machine for £20 per piece to assess safety etc. It was proposed to sell or to retain the other gear as appropriate. Sue will consult the Council as to safety matters etc. AP Richard, Dan, Sue.

Shop contents. The stocktake has not yet been completed. Sue said that she will consult the Council as to any restricted chemicals etc. AP Ian, Alex, Ray, Sue.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue said that there are three vacant plots, four current Clean-Or-Quit Notices, and that ten Pre-notice Letters have been sent. She has had a new lock fitted at the Western Avenue gate, and one is due to be installed at the other one soon. There is to be a visit on Saturday, by a delegation from the Highfields site to see how our poly tunnel is managed and assigned.

If plot holders with worn keys experience difficulties with the new locks, then please approach the Site Secretary in the usual way for a replacement exchange.

 Accounts queries. Wendy reported that she has received very detailed and time-consuming requests for financial information from a plot holder, with which she has reasonably complied.

The Committee note that the accounts were audited for presentation at the AGM, that there were no questions raised by those present, and that they have been duly accepted by the Council. On that basis this year’s grant has been awarded.

The plot holder concerned did not attend the AGM, and nor has the same attended any other Committee meeting, as all are free to do.

It is self-evident, that the correct time and place to raise such queries is at the AGM, or failing that, at an ordinary Committee meeting.

It is unclear to the Committee what the reason for the requests was. If anyone had any suspicion of impropriety, then the correct procedure would be to raise that with Council, and to supply the evidence for that suspicion.

Parking on access tracks. Complaints continue to received from plot holders hindered by others parking on the tracks. (See speeding item).

Please use the car parks only. Blocking the tracks is Antisocial Behaviour and a breach of tenancy terms.

 Criminal damage. A plot holders’s bird feeders have allegedly been repeatedly destroyed. If the perpetrator is identified, then they will very likely lose their tenancy.

Speeding. The Committee note with interest, the “identify-and-shame” approach taken by some plot holders, on the general Facebook account, towards speeding vehicles.

Plot holders are reminded that there are 5mph roundels as soon as one turns off Western Avenue into the park, and that this is the site limit too. Repeat offenders put at risk their tenancy.

 Fires. Sue has had to point out to a plot holder that fires are expressly forbidden under tenancy terms.

Hedge trimming. Richard noted that some hedges are encroaching onto tracks. All plot holders are encouraged to use hand tools, even if just in passing, during the nesting season, to keep encroachments under control. AP all.

Any Other Business

Plant sale – Ian. Ian handed over receipts and cash. The profit provisionally stands at about £530. Thanks to Ian.

Land behind polytunnel – Alex. Alex has sprayed this. Other parts of the site require treatment too. AP Alex.

Footpaths between plots – Wendy. Wendy reported that some people are failing to keep these clear as required by their tenancy, and sometimes even fly-tipping on them.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2038. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 25/07/2018, at 1900 sharp.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 16 May 2018

Present: Jenny Howell (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Dan Phillips, Richard Masterman, Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Alex Brown, Martin Pasek (Operational Support), Mike Pitt (plot holder). Apologies: none received.

The Committee welcome the presence and the contribution of Mike Pitt. 

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Rescheduled litter pick. Owing to concerns re disturbing nesting birds, Ray proposed that this would now have to wait until autumn. AP Ray.

Increased notice board space. Ray and Dan have investigated the practicalities of attaching two-sided boards to both gates, so as to be visible on entering and on leaving the site. Their work will continue. AP Ray, Dan.

Shop – Jenny. Sue explained that the Executor has now handed the contents of the shop to PPAA. A number of questions were identified. Should there be a shop operation at all? If so, who would run it? What is to happen about the existing stock? What about the machinery hire aspect?

A vote was held, and by six votes to two the Committee decided that in principle there should be a site shop.

Alex and Ian offered to work as initiators for a limited period, with a view to attracting sufficient volunteers to run the shop permanently on a rota basis. They also offered to do a stock check.

The Committee warmly invite any plot holder who might be interested in sharing this operation to come forward.

Ray, Richard and Dan offered to run up the machinery, but it is not proposed to offer hire until staffing, safety, and insurance matters have been properly resolved.

Sue has had sets of keys for the units cut, and she mentioned that she learned at the CAHA meeting that other sites co-operate in syndicated buying to stock their shops.

Wood Chippings – Jenny. The position is that there are two authorised suppliers, the Council, and Mike Boyer. To avoid a repeat of the serious problems of the past, that is, the car park’s becoming filled with rotting, unwanted material, the suppliers are encouraged only to deliver when the pens are pretty well empty.

It appears that one or more plot holders had been contacting contractors independently, and inviting deliveries from them, which threw the system into confusion. This now seems to have been stopped.

Only the Committee are authorised to arrange such deliveries to the communal pens. Under no circumstances must plot holders do this, and it will be viewed as their abetting fly-tipping if they do. However, they are completely free to arrange private deliveries to their own plots, provided that the contractors are escorted throughout. Once again, gardeners are encouraged to make good use of these supplies when they are plentiful, that is, from October to March. Supplies are limited by wildlife protection during nesting season.

Payments for manure deliveries – Wendy  No one was able to identify a responsible contact with whom to discuss any aspect of these deliveries, nor even to ascertain whether they had happened for sure. The convention has been that a donation was made to the riding school on each occasion, but owing to the uncertainty, Sue proposed that a quarterly donation of £30 be made instead. That was agreed.

Owl Nesting Boxes – Mike. Sue had recently started a conversation on FaceBook about using natural predators to help control our rat population,one suggestion was to encourage Owls. Mike Pitt had responded to this, both my kindly offering to help sponsor an Owl nesting box and by doing some research. The Committee warmly received Mike’s suggestion that these could help deal with the problem of mice and such vermin on the site. Ray mentioned the specified height for these. Ian offered a double ladder if needed. Alex proposed that hedgehog boxes could be included in the same expenditure item. The Committee offered Mike all the help that they could give, and Richard Masterman said he was happy to work with Mike on this.Mike said that he would do some further research bearing in mind his other commitments. AP Richard Alex Mike

Spending Plan Outline 2018/9 – Wendy. Wendy brought printouts. To summarise the items are:

  • Brick cublcle work                                                  £5,000
  • Behind polytunnel clearing phase one                   £1,000
  • Track remediation work                                          £1,500
  • Shop renovation etc.                                              £1,000
  • Wildlife boxes                                                         TBA

AOB

Abusive behaviour – Ray.  There have, regrettably, been such incidents recently. The Committee agreed with Ray, that such conduct is absolutely unacceptable, verbally or written,  whether between plot holders, or between them and the general public, or towards Committee members, who are working unpaid on behalf of all.

Plot holders are reminded that their tenancy is at risk, if they are found to have been abusive towards any other person on the site.

Data Protection Act re website etc. – Dan. Sue said that there are as yet no Council guidelines, but Alex agreed to follow general practice, and to issue a group email requesting express consent in the relevant areas.

Gate Left Open – Wendy. There are still occasions when this happens, and Wendy reported an incidence of theft, perhaps related.

All users of the site are reminded that they are required under their tenancy to lock the gate at all times behind them, even if they are expecting visitors shorty, or are awaiting guests to leave.

Fruit tree planting – Ian Ian proposed using the potentially vacant space between the two southernmost sets of cubicles for dwarf root stock fruit trees, and for seed crops of beans etc. for the shop. This was agreed. Sue mentioned that the planting of such trees has always been on the Council’s list of matters for which permission is required, and will soon be added to the shed and greenhouse application forms. These forms will be available from Sue, Site Secretary.

Site Secretaries Duties – Sue. Sue said that there is now only one vacant plot, which will be let over the next few weeks. The waiting list stands at fifty-six. Sue has issued twelve Pre Notice Letters.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2016. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 13/06/2018, at 1900 sharp.

Minutes of PPAA Annual General Meeting – 22 April 2018

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ray Edwards, Richard Masterman, Jenny Howell (plot holder, Chair candidate), Frank Berry (Riverside Community Gardens rep.) Mel Evans, (plot 39b,) Geoff Edwards, (plot 76,) Roger Phillips, Monica Nobrega, (plot 62a,) Liz Pengilly (plot 10b,) Lewis Evans, (plot 88b) Richard Waters, (plot 103,) Stephen Pearse (plot 52a,) Wyn Williams, (plots 97b, 99a,) Martin Pasek (Operational Support). Apologies: Ian Douglas, Dan Phillips, Alex Brown, Jane Williams, Nerys Lloyd-Pearce.

Chairman’s Welcome and Introduction – Tim

Tim reminded the meeting of the recent passing of Adrian Walsh and Alan Turner, of their many years of service to the community of gardeners at the site, and as key figures in the PPAA Committee. He briefly outlined the position re the shop operation under Harlech Gardening Club. That is, that the matter of winding it up has been passed to the Council for their opinion, and that until this is settled, a new system for running a shop could not be put in place.

Tim announced that he would be standing down as Chair, and the assembled expressed their thanks.

Site Secretary’s Speech – Sue

Sue said that there were currently no plots vacant, but expected that some would become available through non-payment.

Sue also said that the problem with rubbish or junk on site had improved, and emphasised that the best way for the problem to be avoided would be for plot holders not to bring materials to site on the off chance that they might be useful at some time. Geoff Edwards expressed the feeling that understanding and some patience needed to be shown towards plot holders, who either might have a practical difficulty in removing such items, or still be considering whether they had a use. His point was accepted.

Sue went on to say that the letting of the brick cubicles was progressing well, and that all the usable ones were now let, with particular interest among new plot holders. She invited anyone who had skills relevant to their refurbishment, or who wished to tender for such work to come forward.

The Committee invite any plot holder(s), in a position to refurbish any or all of those brick cubicles still in disrepair, to let us know their terms for the specification TBC.

PPAA Accounts – Wendy

Wendy brought printed copies for the attendees. She confirmed that Dave King, plot holder, had audited the accounts, and that he was content.

Wendy explained that the number of categories has been increased, so as to make identification of items easier, and so to improve transparency.

There were no questions.

Return of Officers and Election of new Chair – Tim

Officers were proposed and seconded by attendees.

Sue Jones was returned as Site Secretary.

Wendy Gunter was returned as Treasurer.

Jenny Howell was elected as the new Chair.

The rest of the Committee were also returned.

AOB

Roger Phillips asked what was going to happen to the delivery of seed potatoes, onion sets, and so on, which had been made for the shop. A discussion arose, during which it was mentioned that PPAA did not have the authority to dispose of the property of Harlech Gardening Club. However, it was also suggested that if the social community of gardeners on the Pontcanna site, (as Alan’s and as Adrian’s acquaintances), acted reasonably, then those items probably could be used, especially since the bereaved had apparently declined to be involved with them. It was proposed that gardeners distribute them amongst themselves, and contribute a reasonable sum to a kitty, which would then be passed to the relevant estates, or to HGC as appropriate. However, no particular person who would oversee such actions was identified at this meeting.

Richard Waters mentioned that he had received an email questionnaire from the Council, as to satisfaction with the job being done by the Committee under the Local Management Agreement. He said that he felt that the questions were often loaded, perhaps in order to supply evidence, for a conclusion that had already been formed. He wondered if that might be to support the outsourcing of allotments management by the Council, and if that were the reason for its sending. Sue said that Council officers would probably consider it necessary to do such work from time-to-time, but Richard’s comment was noted.

Richard also remarked that the wood chips had all been used. Martin pointed out that the Council had made abundant deliveries during the winter, and would have made more, if the chips had been used up to create space. However it is now nesting season, and so work on trees is at a low level. Accordingly deliveries are few.

Plot holders are urged to make use of the more plentiful supplies of wood chips available between October and March.

Thanks to outgoing Chairman – Jenny

Jenny thanked Tim for his seven years as the Chair of PPAA, and in particular she expressed admiration for his unfaltering, steadying influence over the Committee. Tim was warmly applauded.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1148.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 4 April 2018

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Dan Phillips, Richard Masterman, Jenny Howell (plot holder, observer), Frank Berry (Riverside Community Gardens rep.) Martin Pasek (Operational Support). Apologies: Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Alex Brown.

The Committee welcomes new member Richard Masterman.

Sad News- Tim. The Committee were very sad to hear that Alan Turner, hitherto holder of plot 41, passed away recently.

The Committee extend their heartfelt sympathies to Alan’s family, and to his many friends and acquaintances that he made during his decades as a committed, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and industrious allotment gardener.

Riverside Community Gardens Fire, Theft, and Vandalism- Frank. The Committee were appalled to hear the details of the offences committed, but also heartened by the undaunted spirit of the volunteers in getting to work straight away with clearance and rebuilding. Frank expressed gratitude to Dave King, for removing debris from site to be incinerated. The feasibilities of various measures for improved security were discussed, including the possibility of shared funding for that with PPAA. Frank explained the insurance claim procedure, and the Committee wished him every success with that.

For reasons connected with the investigations into this matter, and with future security, not all points discussed are minuted here.

Minutes of January meeting and matters arising- Tim.

Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are no vacant plots at the moment. She has let four plots since the last meeting and the waiting list is still about thirty. She was also pleased to report that the number of holders in payment arrears is relatively few.

The Committee cordially welcome the new plot holders onto plots 10a, 19a, 35b, and 86.

Storage unit appearance. Alex was not available for an update.

Programme of works. The main items remain brick shed refurbishment, and the clearance of usable land, to which has been added flood relief for susceptible segments of track. As quotes for the first have been rather high, it was agreed to lower the specification, and to investigate off-the-shelf items such as exterior-grade doors.

Sue has a quote for a digger plus driver at £150 per day, which was agreed to be reasonable.

Asbestos. The material in the old club house has been removed by the Council’s newly-approved contractor.

Committee numbers. The Committee are pleased to welcome Richard Masterman as a new Member.

Sue reminded herself to change the wording of the welcome letter for new plot holders as agreed. AP Sue.

Fly tipping. Owing to the recurring severe weather, the rescheduled Litter Pick also had to be cancelled. The Committee thank Ray for his efforts so far, and hope that a future event will be more fortunate. AP Ray.

We remind all plot holders, yet again, that their tenancy is at risk, and that they may be exposed to heavy fines, for fly-tipping around the site or over the fences.

Water supply. The water is back on, and Sue was pleased to report that there has been interest by plot holders in adopting the cleaning and maintenance reporting for nearby troughs.

The Committee cordially thank those volunteers, who have already cleared sediment from the troughs near to their plots. Thanks to their efforts and those of the Committee, all troughs have now been cleaned.

Shop. Following the recent further sad news, it was agreed by the Committee that the winding up of the present undertaking is not within its gift, and it was resolved to invite the Council to propose a solution.

The Committee understands that the shop was run by Harlech Gardening Club, and that any audits, accounts, and the like, would therefore be in the name of that entity. However, that is not entirely clear. Tim reported that as it stands, and at this difficult and sensitive time, he did not perceive any will amongst the recently bereaved to be involved in any way with this. However, if that were to change, then the Committee remain open to any such approaches that they might make with regard to winding up its affairs. (This is a necessary step, before any proposed shop operation could be brought back under PPAA control, which would be required by the Council for proper authorisation.)

AGM 2018. Wendy brought the accounts, and they are ready for presentation on 22nd April 2018. However, it was agreed to move some major items, such as expenditure on waste clearance contractors, to their own line, rather than to include them under “general” or “other” expenditure. This is both in the interests of transparency, and also to publicise the specific actions taken by the Committee on behalf of plot holders.

Extending BACS payments for PPAA subs- Wendy. Wendy proposed handing the paper BACS details to new plot holders, (and, ideally, to anyone else who might not have them.) The Committee thanked Wendy for all her recent hard work, and under circumstantial difficulties.

Plot holders are reminded that the PPAA subs do not just help to cover manure usage, but also contribute towards public liability insurance for them, running repairs, and so on. They are therefore urged to take advantage of the convenience offered by this payment method. Furthermore, for those who understandably wish to avoid “internet banking”, this method of payment can be set up over the counter, or often by telephone with the plot holder’s bank.

Plot holder injured in accident- Sue. Sue was pleased to report that a plot holder, Monica Nobrega, has offered to tend the injured plot holder’s allotment while she is unable to do so herself.

The Committee warmly commend Monica’s kindness and support.

Increased notice board space- Ray. Dan reported that he and Ray had discussed putting noticeboards on the gates, and this idea was met with the approval of all. AP Ray, Dan.

 

AOB

AGM- Tim. Tim asked the Committee to confirm that the AGM would begin at 1100. (Carried.)

Plant sale-Tim. Ian has said that it will be on 19th May 2018.

Complaints by plot holders about PPAA Committee members- Sue. It was acknowledged that plot holders, naturally, are free to make criticisms about any or all, to whomever they might choose on the Committee, but that formal complaints must be addressed to the Council’s Allotments Officer, Celia Hart.

The Committee respectfully remind plot holders that they are all unpaid volunteers, and that they have to share their time in this regard with the same demands as those affecting everyone else.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2025. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 02/05/2018, at 1900.

Riverside Community Garden Arson

We are very saddened to hear the news that the Riverside Community Gardens suffered a devastating attack by vandals on 13th March.

Their main shelter has been subject to an arson attack and their other storage containers broken into.

If you feel you may be able to assist in helping the rebuilding process, please keep an eye on the Facebook Page and we will endeavour to post any planned events on this website too.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 7 March 2018

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ray Edwards, Alex Brown, Dan Phillips. Martin Pasek (Operational Support). Apologies: Ian Douglas.

Minutes of January meeting and matters arising- Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are three vacant plots at the moment. She expects to let them over the next few weeks. She has let six plots since the last meeting and the waiting list is about thirty. AP Sue.

The Committee cordially welcome the new plot holders onto plots 156b, 157b, 68a, 45b, 35a, and 45a.

Storage unit appearance. Alex hopes to begin work before long. AP Alex.

Programme of works. Site Secretary was unable to attend the Brick Shed Working Group meeting, organised by the Council’s Allotments Officer, Celia Hart, on Wednesday 14/02/18. However, Sue has since learnt that the Council have appointed a surveyor to evaluate any which should be demolished, but not before 2019 at the earliest.

A number of potential expenditure allocations were discussed: resurfacing of the car park; proper bay construction; site security improvements; options for cubicle improvements; and the clearing of compost and waste.

Asbestos. Awaiting removal by the Council’s newly-approved contractor.

Committee numbers. A probable new Committee member has been identified, and the Committee look forward to welcoming him to the next meeting.

Alex proposed that Sue explain to new plot holders, that they are entitled to be elected to the Committee from Day One of their tenure and PPAA membership.

Dan proposed that new tenants be asked as to any relevant knowledge or skills that they might have, and whether they might be willing to act in an advisory capacity to the Committee from time-to-time if nothing else.

Sue said that she would add something along these lines to the Welcome Letter. AP Sue.

Fly tipping. Owing to the recent severe weather the Litter Pick had to be cancelled. Ray said that he will reschedule the event, if possible to coincide with another national or municipal campaign. AP Ray.

We remind all plot holders, yet again, that their tenancy is at risk, and that they may be exposed to heavy fines, for fly-tipping around the site or over the fences.

Water supply. A walkabout is proposed for Sunday, 25/03/18, at 1100, involving trough cleaning, and the water will be turned on afterwards. AP all.

Shop. Alex reported that he has received a number of questions as to the future of the shop, following the sad passing of Adrian, and Alan’s recent ill-health.

Background: At one time, the shop was run by PPAA Committee members. However, when the shopkeepers left the Committee, they continued to run it independently, as part of Harlech Gardening Club, but with no connection to PPAA at all. Our understanding is that this operation has not been on any basis authorised by the Council. However, the Council have not as yet indicated what action they might take, if any, in relation to that, although they have been considering the matter for some months now. (There is no will on the part of any of the present Committee members to take on the shop operation in the manner required to comply with the Council’s guidelines, to remove the aforesaid irregularity. There is certainly no will to continue what could turn out to be an unlawful operation either.)

However, if there should turn out to be plot holders, willing to run the shop in the manner required by the Council, then the Committee would be interested to hear from them. (Basically, that would mean that it would not be run for personal gain, and that proceeds would contribute to PPAA funds. Regular accounts would also have to be produced.)

AGM 2018 date. 22nd April 2018 is confirmed. Dave King has offered to audit the PPAA accounts.

Hedge planting group. The day was a success. Whips have been planted alongside the security fencing in the southeast corner and filling in various gaps in the main hedge etc.

AOB

Gate being left open – Wendy. The Committee were disappointed to hear that this problem has resurfaced. Those believed to be responsible are known, and they will be requested to observe the rules.

Extending BACS payments for PPAA subs – Wendy. This very simple and effective means of collecting PPAA subs could be extended by publicising the bank payment details for PPAA on FB and on the website.

Plot holders are reminded that the PPAA subs do not just help to cover manure usage, but also contribute towards public liability insurance for them, running repairs, give entitlement to serve on the Committee, and so on. They are therefore urged to take advantage of the convenience offered by this payment method.

“Bring-and-Take” cubicle problems- Sue. The recent order from the Council means, in principle, that this should be let to a plot holder, rather than to be used as it presently is. However, the Committee recognise that this facility is enjoyed by many during harvest times.

Unfortunately, the will to continue this benefit has been tested recently, by some plot holders apparently using the shed as yet another place for what amounts to fly-tipping.

Please do not leave anything other than grown produce, or as-new-condition, purpose-made gardening sundries in this cubicle.

Under no circumstances leave reclaimed building and glazing materials, rotten wood, canes, split or perished plastic sundries, furniture, polythene, cardboard, rusty or damaged tools, or anything else which would normally be described as junk. We are very short of volunteer effort and of funds. People’s time and PPAA finances are being wasted in having to dispose of such materials. Please take them off site and to a Council recycling facility.

Plot holder injured in accident- Sue. The Committee are very concerned to hear that a plot holder has been seriously injured in a road accident as a cyclist, and we extend our most heartfelt wishes for her full recovery. We understand that this may take a long time however, and Sue proposes that another plot holder, or more than one, might tend her plot during this period in a mutually beneficial way. Details would be published on the website and on FB. AP Sue, Alex.

Increased notice board space- Ray. Ray noted, that whilst the existing boards can accommodate PPAA minutes and a few standing notices, there is not enough room for ad hoc ones relating to events and so on. He proposed fitting extra displays to the existing stands or otherwise. AP Ray.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2021. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 04/04/2018, at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 6 February 2018

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ray Edwards, Ian Douglas, Martin Pasek (Operational Support). Apologies: Alex Brown, Dan Phillips.

Minutes of January meeting and matters arising- Tim

Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are six vacant plots at the moment, and she expects to let them over the next few weeks. AP Sue.

Storage unit appearance. We await information from Alex. AP Alex.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. All bed holders have paid, and Ian has repaired a roof tear.

Programme of works. Sue will attend the next Brick Shed Working Group meeting, organised by the Council’s Allotments Officer, Celia Hart, on Wednesday 14/02/18. More than one contractor has been identified to carry out improvements, and the initial estimates are encouraging. Sue is still identifying current users of the cubicles, but it is hoped that improvements can begin soon. AP Sue, Ian.

The Committee thanks those plot holders who have come forward as cubicle users. We appreciate that the notice served by the Council was arguably precipitous, and acknowledge the forbearance of all concerned. 

Asbestos. The Council now have an approved contractor, and so asbestos should soon be removed.

Committee numbers. As at the last meeting, there have been no volunteers as yet, but a few people had been identified, who had implied in conversation that they might be interested. AP all.

Tree waste dumping/manure/wood chip supplies/fly-tipping. Martin has spoken to Mike Boyer and identified the material which has been left by him. It seems that other deliveries are sometimes made by the Council’s workers when they are nearby. There is no evidence at the moment of fly-tipping of tree waste by anyone else. However, the problem remains of deliveries being made by the latter before the pens are empty, with a build-up of decaying material at the rear resulting.

If any plot holders are able to clear the backlog, by using this wood chip, then that help would be much appreciated.

 The Committee regrets the damage to the southern manure pen, caused by the last delivery. It would appear that requests to the Council to advise care on the part of the contractors have had no effect.

There do not seem to have been any egregious instances of fly-tipping around the site since the last Meeting, but it is still happening.

We remind all plot holders, yet again, that their tenancy is at risk, and that they may be exposed to heavy fines, for fly-tipping around the site or over the fences.

 Water supply. Any trough cleaning will need to be done before the water is turned on again in mid March. AP all.

Gardening Tutorials. Unfortunately, owing to a lack of response, these had to be cancelled. Ray will identify a list of subjects for an event later in the year, autumn. AP Ray.

Shop. As at last month, there is no further news from the Council on the formal position. However, please see AOB.

For the avoidance of doubt, the PPAA Committee clarify that there is no connection between its activities and the operation of the shop, which is independent of it.

Potentially usable land behind polytunnel. The clearing work has been started by Alex, Ian, and Sue, and good progress is being made. AP all.

Spine road, fly-tipping over the fence. There is to be a Great British Tidy, in progress on March 3rd and/or 4th. Ray proposed a site event to coincide with this at the last meeting. It was now also proposed to clear rubbish tipped over the fence into the park. AP Ray et al.

All noticed that the Council have cut the hedge. This was unannounced as ever, and now leaves the site exposed to easy view by the general public. It is also now easier for fly-tippers to throw rubbish over it into the park. The Committee’s advice on this point would appear to have been ignored, therefore.

Budget Plan. Dan Phillips sent an email with a helpful list of projects and the likely expenditure, totalling £5,000-£8,000. It included the main item above, the cubicles refurbishment.

The BACS system for payment of PPAA subscriptions is working well, and has resulted in a useful increase in revenues.

Plot holders are reminded that the PPAA subs do not just help to cover manure usage, but also contribute towards public liability insurance for them, running repairs, and so on.

Hedgehog release. Alex has released two since November, and as he said at the last meeting, he is waiting for better weather before releasing more on site.

Gardeners could not have better friends, and we ask that plot holders make theirs as safe for them as they reasonably can. In particular, abandoned coils of netting are a danger to them, and slug pellets, if used, should be in accordance with their instructions, that is, scattered only thinly.

AOB

AGM 2018 date- Tim. 22nd April was provisionally proposed.

Plant sale date- Ian. 12th May is proposed by Ian.

Hedge planting group- Ian. Sunday 18th Feb at 1100 is proposed.

Clearing, weed killing- Ian. Ian proposed clearing between the southernmost two blocks of cubicles to enable renovation to begin, and anticipated enlisting the digger facility, available at very reasonable rates from Lady Mary Allotments, for this.

He also said that there is now a Glyphosate-free herbicide available for killing mares tails, and proposed that it be publicised on the website. AP Ian/Alex.

Sad news- Tim. Tim has heard that Adrian Walsh of plot five passed away recently. Tim understands that this was after his suffering a heart attack.

Further sad news is that Rob Searle of plot forty has also passed away.

The Committee extend their deepest sympathies to Adrian’s family and friends, and to those of Rob. We also understand that Alan Turner has been unwell, and that this means that there will be no shop operation for the foreseeable future. We wish Alan a full and speedy recovery.

 There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2016. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 07/03/2018, at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 9 January 2018

Present: Tim Llewellyn (Chair), Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Alex Brown, Ray Edwards,Ian Douglas, Dan Phillips, Martin Pasek (Operational Support). Apologies: None.

Minutes of November meeting and matters arising- Tim

 Site Secretary’s Duties. Sue said that there are 44 people on the waiting list and that the turnover is about 25 plots per year at the moment, with a wait of around a year. It was agreed that identifying untended plots during the winter is not easy, and that the re-division of the observation areas should be made before spring gets under way. AP Sue.

Storage unit. Alex expects to move on this fairly soon. AP Alex.

Polytunnel bed allocation 2018. The draw was conducted and all beds are now allocated.

Programme of works.

 i) Bad weather and culvert flooding etc. have hampered general tidying. As and when, AP all.

ii) Sue will attend the Brick Shed Working Group meeting, organised by the Council’s Allotments Officer, Celia Hart, tomorrow, 10/01/18. AP Sue.

Asbestos. The Council still have no approved removal contractor.

Committee numbers. As at the last meeting, there have been no volunteers as yet, but a few people had been identified, who had implied in conversation that they might be interested. AP all.

Fly tipping/tree waste dumping/manure/woodchip supplies. It is still not entirely clear who is depositing woodchip, the Council, Mike, or someone else. There is a problem at the main car park, in that deliveries are being made before the pen is empty, and the unused material at the rear will soon rot. Martin will speak to Mike again.

If any plotholders are able to clear the backlog, by using this woodchip, then that help would be much appreciated.

Ian said that he has identified a plot holder, who is apparently responsible for much of the tipping over the fence by the spine road. It was agreed to remind the plotholder concerned of the likely consequences of continuing to do this. AP Ian.

We remind all plot holders, yet again, that their tenancy is at risk, and that they may be exposed to heavy fines, for fly-tipping around the site or over the fences.

 Water supply. Any trough cleaning will need to be done before the water is turned on again in mid March. AP all.

Gardening Tutorials. Michele Fitzsimmons’ lecture and demonstrations are to be held on 04/02/18, from 1400-1600. A fee of £5 was proposed. Numbers will probably need to be kept to about 20, for one-to-one guidance. Publicity was recognised as being a matter to be addressed without delay. AP Ray.

Wendy Gunter is point of contact for those interested in attending, and to pay the fee. She may be contacted by email at the PPAA address: pontcannapermallotments@gmail.com

Shop. As at last month, there is no further news from the Council.

Potentially usable land behind polytunnel. Ian and Alex proposed their preliminary hacking down of scrub to enable our gathering of loose rubbish and its removal by the waste contractors. AP all.

Spine road. Fly-tipping over the fence. There is to be a Great British Tidy, in progress on March 4th. Ray proposed a site event to coincide with this. It was also proposed to invite the Community Gardens to become co-involved. AP Ray et al.

Budget Plan. It is anticipated that there will be significant outlay on the brick cubicles before long. There are also the boreholes project under consideration, along with on-going costs to private contractors for waste removal and for other site maintenance. Improving the boundary fencing was added. AP Wendy et al.

CAHA donation. Wendy said that the £50 donation had been gratefully received by CAHA.

Hedgehog release. Alex has released two since the last meeting, and is waiting for better weather before releasing more on site.

Gardeners could not have better friends, and we ask that plot holders make theirs as safe for them as they reasonably can. In particular abandoned coils of netting are a danger to them, and slug pellets, if used, should be in accordance with their instructions, that is, scattered only thinly.

 AOB

Speeding vehicles- Sue. Sue said that she has had to speak to two drivers, who were clearly driving at considerably more than the 5mph (brisk walking speed) stipulated in the Tenancy Agreements.

Please observe the speed limit and comply with the terms of your Agreement. This is for everyone’s safety. It’s easy to forget, and the Committee know this, so if you should be reminded, then please try to respond with good humour.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2011. The next meeting will be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on 06 02 2018, at 1900.