Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotments Association – 10 January 2017

Present: Tim Llewellyn; Dave King; Ray Edwards; Sue Jones; Martin Pasek; Gary Reed; Chris Springall; Frank Berry (RCG); Apologies: Dan Phillips; Alex Brown

Secretary’s duties. Some of the committee have been unable to spend the necessary time needed to monitor their allotted part of the site, to ensure that plots are being worked. This will hopefully be remedied by the next meeting. This item will remain as a standing agenda item until further notice (AP all).

Car park. Ray has obtained a quote for tarmac upgrade for the top car park, which was too expensive to consider. Dave will look into the possibility of applying for a grant (AP Dave).

Website. Our new website is now live, pontcannapaa.com. Alex will oversee the entries onto the site and is keen to hear from any plot holder who would like to contribute to the website. Frank said that Hannah is working on a note from the RCG. Dave will prepare a note about 2107 PPAA subs for the website and noticeboards.(AP RCG/Dave).

Plot numbering. Gary will prepare the plot numbers for Dave and Ray to display them on their areas of responsibility. Ian will be next to do his. (AP Gary/Ian/Ray/Dave).

Storage. Dave has sourced free of charge a 20ft by 7ft container which can be delivered to us, also free of charge. The best site for it is in the shop car park, but some ground clearance work is needed first. A working group will meet on Saturday 14th January to do this.(AP Dave/Ray/Sue/Martin).

Hedge. Concern was expressed about the recent severe hedge cut carried out by the Council. We were given no notice of this and would have counselled against such a heavy handed exercise. Sue will pursue with Celia and Ray will ask the Parks Dept about the authorisation process. (AP Sue/Ray).

LMA/ Insurance. Discussions are still ongoing with the Council about the level of grant that will be offered to us for this financial year. (AP Tim/Dave).

Resource Planning. Dave is working on a plan of how we are going to use our finances over the next few years to show the Council that we have recognised what needs to be done on site, and plan to pay for it. We will also welcome any ideas from plot holders. (AP all/Dave).

Riverside Community Garden. Frank produced copies of his C & G award in chainsaw and cross cutting skills. He and his RCG colleagues are willing to play their part in getting overgrown plots ready for cultivation.

Polytunnel. Ian and Tim looked at the polytunnel recently and agreed that there would be no space for more raised beds, as the spring plant sale would need enough space for seeding and potting on. Sue has prepared a note for display which will offer access to spare raised beds to plot holders, which Tim and Ian will QA. (AP Sue/Ian/Tim).

Viv Turner. Sue has been in touch with Viv’s son who expressed a wish to make a donation to PPAA in her memory. Some ideas were discussed and Sue will pursue with him. (AP Sue).

Date of next meeting – Tuesday 7 February, Butchers Arms, Canton.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s