Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 1 May 2019

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ray Edwards, Ian Douglas, Richard Masterman, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Alex Brown, Dan Phillips. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue reported that there are three vacant plots. She has been able to let one. However, she has had no fewer than four refusals from applicants, who seemed unprepared for the realities of maintaining an allotment. Sue remarked that it was better to avoid unsuitable applicants at this stage, than to be faced with dealing with abandoned and overgrown plots a matter of months later.

Sue mentioned that there are a few plots becoming neglected, and that she has begun issuing the necessary Notices.

Sue noted the rapid growth of the hedges, but also that it is now peak nesting season.

Plot holders are encouraged to assist the Committee volunteers in their work, by carefully cutting back hedges with secateurs etc. Power tools cannot be used at this time. We are considering what best to do with the clippings, but most of them can be “lost” within the hedging for now.

Discontinuation of one of the communal compost heaps. Despite clear notices that nothing is to be left on one of the the heaps any more, fly-tipping continues. There was a discussion as to how best to remove the existing material, and it was understood that RCG might be interested in being paid to do this, and to use it for levelling etc. Jenny expressed interest in project-managing this if so. AP Jenny.

With regret, the Committee remind plot holders to add no further material to the heap, but instead encourage them to take as much mature compost as possible, for raised beds, for levelling, or for any other purpose. Again plot holders are reminded that it is a condition of their tenancy agreement that they compost on their own plots, or remove from site.

Raised Agenda Items – Jenny.

Manure Deliveries To Middle car Park – Jenny. A message was received from a plot holder, requesting that the Committee reconsider leaving manure there, as historically once happened. The Committee all agreed to attempt to restart deliveries there. Sue explained that PPAA have no point of contact at all with the Council-operated drivers who deliver it, despite persistent attempts to establish one. However, it was proposed to put notices at the existing pens/gates, asking that manure be delivered here too. Sue will continue to try to make contact. This would occupy some of the space currently used for car parking, clearly. AP Sue, Martin.

If parking should prove problematic, drivers are reminded that there is additional space by the composting toilet.

Accumulation of funds – Wendy. The projects mentioned under this heading previously are still outstanding, and, as and when the volunteer time to organise them is available, they will be undertaken. They include the refurbishment of brick cubicles, the planing of mud from the tracks to expose the hardcore, poly tunnel repairs -or even an additional one – and the restoration of abandoned land to good use. The money is allocated.

Any Other Business

Shop – Ian, Richard. Both have continued work, generally improving matters, clearing, sorting, tidying, painting, and repairing. Richard has successfully tested battery-to-inverter-powered lighting, which showed that a solar-powered charging system would likely be worthwhile.

The Committee cordially thank Ian and Richard for their work.

Plant sale – Ian. This is now to be held from 1000 on Saturday, May18th, and not on May 4th as previously announced. The shop will also be open for the sale of sundries etc., although it is not yet possible to open it on a regular basis.

AGM – Jenny. All are reminded that this will be held Sunday coming, May 5th, 2019, by the poly tunnel, at 1100.

PPAA subs may be paid at this time, entitling members to vote on the proposals raised.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2017.

The next PPAA meeting will be on Wednesday, 12th June, at the Butcher’s Arms, Canton, at 1900.

Minutes of PPAA Annual General Meeting – 5th May 2019

Present

Committee: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ian Douglas, Martin Pasek (Operational Support).

Apologies: Dan Phillips, Ray Edwards, Richard Masterman, Alex Brown.

Plot holders: Elizabeth Pengilly (plot 10b), Richard Waters, (plot 103), Jane Williams (plots 87, 88), Alan Coombs (plot 48a), Brian Robinson (plot 53a), Paul Jones (pp Paul Jones and Bob Hughes 24b), Nick Morris (plot 90b), Chris Springall (plot 23).

RCG: Frank Berry

Chair’s Welcome and Introduction – Jenny

Jenny welcomed all to the AGM, and remarked that the sparse attendance was actually, ironically, a good sign in some ways, in that it meant that few people had concerns, or complaints, about the state of the site, or about its running.

Site Secretary’s Speech – Sue

Sue was pleased to report near-capacity tenancy, and a waiting list of about eighty, with a typical waiting time of a year or so.

She reminded those tending plots for friends – whether already plot holders themselves or not – to consider becoming joint tenants. This is important, as it means that should their friend give up the plot, then they can take it over straight away, subject to the usual limits on total area held. Otherwise, they would have no more right than any other member of the public to do so. To apply for joint tenancy, contact the Council to join the waiting list, stating that joint tenancy with the holder of plot (quote its number) is requested. The Site Secretary will then be able to process the joint tenancy forms.

Sue issued her general reminders to all, to comply fully with their tenancy terms. In particular, to compost all plant waste on their own plots, to remove all other rubbish from site, to apply for permission for planting fruit trees (and then only on dwarf root stock) – just as for sheds and for greenhouses – and finally, to collect rainwater from shed roofs.

PPAA Accounts – Wendy

Wendy brought printed copies for the attendees. She confirmed that Dave King, plot holder, had audited the accounts, and that he was content.

Wendy thanked those plot holders, who had transferred their payment method for PPAA subscriptions to BACS, and urged everyone, who had not already done so, to consider doing this. She reminded them also to make sure that their plot number was the reference.

Wendy ran through the proposed expenditure for accumulated funds. The main items being the refurbishment of the brick cubicles, shop development, land restoration, track planing, and the regular removal of rubbish from abandoned plots by waste contractors. However, the timing of such expenditure is dependent upon the availability of the needed volunteer time, to project manage the respective proposals.

Paul Jones asked if there were any plans for further toilet facilities on site. It was generally agreed that these would be beneficial, but as yet there are no plans to add to the single composting one, currently maintained by RCG.

Richard Waters asked about consistency of the Council grant awarded. Wendy explained that the Council apply a formula. It is based on the number of tenants and income from those tenants, so variance from year-to-year is to be expected.

Election of Officers – Jenny

Officers were proposed and seconded by attendees.

Sue Jones was returned as Site Secretary.

Wendy Gunter was returned as Treasurer.

Jenny Howell was returned as Chair.

The rest of the Committee present were also returned.

Jane Williams, Paul Jones, and Elizabeth Pengilly expressed interest in assisting the Committee as volunteers, even if not in being formal members. Their kind offers were very gratefully received by the Committee.

The Committee, being unpaid volunteers themselves, fully appreciate that people cannot render themselves to be controlled by others, and that they at all times remain helpers-at-will. However, there are always tasks, such as clipping back overgrown hedging with hand tools, or removing rubbish as it appears, which can be done by the self-motivated, as and when they are able, and which are always of great value to all who enjoy the site.

AOB

Jane Williams asked whether all significant proposed changes to the site would go through the Committee. In so far as these related to areas within PPAA’s remit rather than within the Council’s, it was confirmed that they always would.

Alan Coombs asked as to the position regarding the problematic, unofficial compost heap, adjacent to his plot. The difficulty is recognised by the Committee, and all plot holders were reminded again, that they are required under their terms of tenancy to compost on their own plots, or to remove waste from site completely.

Richard Waters expressed concern, that increased water consumption might lead the cash-strapped Council to look for future savings in this area. Sue explained that costs had previously been needlessly high, owing to a reportedly serious leak. Despite her requests, she cannot find out whether the recent works have identified and resolved the problem for sure. The Committee are also following with interest the bore hole and pump scheme, in operation at the Forest Farm allotments site.

Nick Morris enquired as to whether there were any plans for tree felling or for crown lifting, to alleviate problems caused by shading of plots. It was explained that this was entirely within the Council’s remit, that the Parks Department is severely stretched, and that this work, although on the list of works, would probably not be done for some years.

Chris Springall asked that plot holders be reminded, that they are collectively responsible for keeping the footpaths between plots free at all times, and that there should be no obstructions at all, to the walk through from one trackway to another.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1148.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 3 April 2019

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Ian Douglas, Alex Brown, Richard Masterman, Dan Phillips. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue reported that there are no new plot holders. There are two empty plots and the waiting list stands at about eighty-five. However, there remain outstanding issues with the vacant plots, which prevent reletting at the moment.

She confirmed that the plot, over which access would be required for a digger to the land behind the poly tunnel, is vacant and so there would be no issue.

Unfortunately, the plot holder injured in a road accident is still unable to manage her plot. However, Monica Nobrega has very kindly offered once more to look after her plot in the meantime. The Committee offer their heartfelt thanks to Monica.

Sue said that the water had been turned on two weeks early, as a result mainly of the extraordinary weather in February.

Sadly, a plot holder reports yet another incidence of theft, after a break in to their shed.

The Committee remind all, to maintain their awareness for irregular activity, and as ever, please, to lock the gate immediately after use on every occasion.

Raised Agenda Items – Jenny.

Communal compost heaps. The Committee recognise that unfortunately, there is insufficient volunteer effort available to continue to offer this facility. There was a discussion, as to how to deal with the removal of the existing heaps, and to prevent further dumping of waste by plot holders. Notices, encouraging the use of the existing compost for plot levelling and raising etc. were proposed, and also those reminding people not to dump further material, but to compost it on their own plots, or to remove it from site. An action day for volunteers, on a Saturday, was agreed in principle.

With regret, the Committee ask plot holders to add no further material to the heaps, but warmly encourage them to take as much mature compost as possible, for raised beds, for levelling, or for any other purpose.

Email from Ian – shop. Ian says that he and Richard have started work cleaning, clearing and painting. He also proposed the sale of surplus stock at the same time as the Plant Sale, May 4th. That was agreed as a good idea. The Committee warmly thank Ian and Richard for their work.

Any Other Business

Owl boxes – Sue. Sue reported that the second owl box has been installed. Thanks again to Richard.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1928.

The next PPAA meeting will be on Wednesday, 1st May, at the Butcher’s Arms, Canton, at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 6 March 2019

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Alex Brown, Richard Masterman, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Ian Douglas, Dan Phillips. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue reported that there are three new plot holders. There are two empty plots and the waiting list stands at about sixty-five

The Committee warmly welcome the new tenants.

Sue said that the northern gate has been found left open on more than one occasion.

Please lock the gate on every occasion after use. There is little point in the Committee taking any measures to prevent theft by trespassers etc., so long as the occasional plot holder does this.

Sue has received a complaint, from those engaged in collecting litter from the adjoining parkland. They report rubbish being thrown over the allotments fences, walls, and hedges, into the parks. There is no doubt in their minds that it is plot holders doing this, as the litter consisted in part of old gardening sundries. They will now be very vigilant in their efforts to identify the offenders.

Clearly, anyone doing this is very likely to lose their tenancy, and also to face prosecution. The Committee asks all plot holders to look out for anyone doing this too. If this becomes a serious problem for the Council, then it undermines the case for the continuation of the whole site as allotments.

Sue noted that manure is being deposited on the hard standing by the old club house. It appears that a plot holder may have asked the delivery contractors to do this.

The Committee are minded to leave plot holders near to that standing to decide between themselves, whether they want a clean car park, or for it to be occupied by such deliveries at least in part. For the meantime, however, it is not proposed to expend further precious volunteer effort in cleaning the area as a car park. The resolved position is, however, that there are only two places to which manure is delivered, being the pens at either end of the site in the main car parks there.

Raised Agenda Items – Jenny.

PPAA subscriptions reminder – Wendy. Wendy reminds those whom it concerns, that subscriptions for 2019 continue to be outstanding from many plot holders, and she encourages them to pay as soon as possible, very preferably by BACS. It was proposed to advertise this facility prominently on the website. AP Alex.

These subscriptions entitle the member to use the manure, and also help to pay for insurance etc.

Shop – email from Ian. Richard has prepared a detailed list of jobs which need to be undertaken by the volunteers for the proposed shop operation. He has also costed some of the envisaged expenditure. All except the PV lighting was approved, pending approval as per Richard’s list.

The list and schedule are shown after these Minutes. All volunteers are warmly invited to come and help on the weekend of 30th/31st March, from 1000 onwards. If you are able to assist then please do!

Land restoration behind poly tunnel – email from Ian. Sue said that digger access needs to be resolved. She awaits confirmation that access over an adjoining plot would be feasible. AP Sue.

Plant sale – email from Ian. The sale has been fixed for Saturday, May 4th.

AGM 2019 – Jenny. Jenny proposed that the AGM take place on Sunday, May 5th at 11AM, the day after the plant sale, and that residual plants could also be sold then. This was carried.

Bees – Sue. Sue has received a request from a plot holder to install a bee hive on a plot. The Council have a process for this. They list plot size, relevant safety, and bee management courses being attended and certificated as among their conditions. Only when all the Council requirements have been satisfied may a bee hive be installed. In this instance however, the plot was too small to meet those requirements.

It is timely to remind all plot holders, that flowering plants are encouraged to be planted on plots too, to attract these and other beneficial pollinators whether wild or kept.

Alex has offered to publicise this on the website, and Ray to list suitable subjects. AP Alex, Ray.

Any Other Business

Rats etc. – Sue. The problem with rodents was discussed.

Plot holders are reminded that if they have such a problem and require help, then it is for them to contact the Council themselves. Under no circumstances must they enter on to other plots to place bait or traps. Guidance and contact information is on the website, and the standing notices will be renewed on the boards. AP Alex, Martin.

Locks on notice boards – Sue. New locks are being fitted, which will prevent time-wasting from the wind’s blowing away notices etc.

Documentation for maintenance and for sale of power tools etc. – Richard. Richard produced these receipts etc., and handed them to the Treasurer.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2002.

The next PPAA meeting will be on Wednesday, 3rd April, at the Butcher’s Arms, Canton, at 1900.

Water Leak – Contractors

Sadly, the ongoing water leak work by the contractors, employed by the Council, has caused extensive damage to the tracks etc.

We have made the Council aware that we expect everything to be ‘made good’.

In the meantime can Plotholders please avoid taking vehicles onto the already churned up tracks as;

a) It will cause further damage
b) You May well get stuck!

Please direct any complaints about this issue directly to the Council / Landlord.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 6 February 2019

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Alex Brown, Richard Masterman, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Ian Douglas, Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Dan Phillips. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Communal compost heaps. Work to tidy them is ongoing. Alex proposed that weed control would be needed, and offered to do that, along with such work elsewhere on site. The Committee thanked Alex.

Water trough clean-outs. The Committee thank Gary for cleaning the trough near his plot, and anyone else who might have done this.

Shop. There was a discussion, during which a number of points arose or became clear. Thanks to the cleaning, sorting, and tidying work by Ian, Ray and Richard, it now appears that the shop is in better condition than first feared, and that quite a lot of the stock is useful and saleable. There would also seem to be enough volunteer effort available to consider realistically its operation. Various practical suggestions were made re that, along with stocking, and so on. Richard suggested solar panels to provide electric lighting, and it was agreed that a costed proposal would be submitted in writing, to be put to a vote at the next meeting. AP Richard

Site Secretary’s report. Sue reported that there are two new plot holders, and she will be seeing a further five interested people during the coming week. There are at present seven vacant plots.

The Committee warmly welcome the new tenants.

Sue reported that utilities staff are investigating a water leak, which they deduce is probably on the allotments site. It accounts for some £12,000 per year to the Council’s costs, so it is a serious matter.

Sue said that after careful consideration, she sees no reason for her not to stand again as Site Secretary, for another year, at the AGM.

New Agenda Items – Jenny.

Malicious communication received by Committee member. The Committee were appalled to hear, that a member had discovered a weatherproofed newspaper cutting affixed on their plot, relating to the brutal murder of an allotment volunteer in London by an aggrieved gardener. There was an added message, which celebrated the fact that this had happened to someone who had displeased an allotment holder, and implied that the Committee member could expect the same. It was, therefore, an implicit death threat.

The police have naturally been informed. They have taken the matter very seriously. The plastic cover and its contents have been examined for fingerprints, and they will act on any relevant information which might arise.

The Council take a similar view.

The Committee interpret any threat to any member as one to all, since the volunteer targeted was doing no more than carrying out duties agreed by, and backed by the rest, and in accordance both with PPAA’s Constitution, and with the Council’s rules.

The police would be grateful for any assistance that anyone might be able to give. For its part, the Committee will treat any approaches made with the strictest confidence. If the perpetrator can be identified, then besides facing a police prosecution, their allotment tenancy appears certain to be terminated.

thumbnail_IMG_1615

Any Other Business

Land restoration behind poly tunnel – Ray. Ray proposed making a “to do” list to enable work to proceed, including gaining access over the apparently unattended – Sue is dealing – plot to the west. There were suggestions re plant hire and contractors for tree stump removal etc., and Alex also offered to address weed control. The Committee were dismayed to hear that after volunteers and paid contractors had cleared the site of rubbish last year, some plot holders have apparently immediately resumed fly-tipping on it. AP Ray, Alex, Sue.

It costs hundreds of pounds for every visit by rubbish removal firms, never mind the waste of volunteers’ time and energy. Fly-tipping around the site is expressly forbidden under the terms of tenancy, and it is very likely to result in loss of tenancy if the offenders are identified. They may also face prosecution.

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 2017.

The next PPAA meeting will be on Wednesday, 6th March, at the Butcher’s Arms, Canton, at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 9 January 2019

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer) Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Alex Brown, Richard Masterman, Dan Phillips. General attendees: None.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Jenny.

Litter pick – Ray. Ray reported that this had been a successful day. However, he was disappointed to note, that much of the rubbish on the park side of the fence was clearly allotment waste, and had obviously been thrown over the fence by plot holders.

Plot holders are reminded that such actions are grossly in breach of their terms of tenancy, as well as being offences under general law. They also weaken the case for the continuation of the whole site as allotments. Accordingly, the Committee take a very serious view of them. Please remove all unwanted materials from site completely, for disposal at a municipal waste facility.

The Committee heartily thank Ray, Dave King, Ian and Richard for their efforts on the day.

Communal compost heaps – Ian. Ian said that he and Dave King would be doing some tidying work soon. AP Ian.

Site plan – Ian. Ian said that his needed updating – and assumed that the rest were similar – particularly as to split plots. Sue to assist. AP Sue, Ian.

Poly tunnel – Sue. Sue said that the bed allocations had been made. Ian pointed out that there was a spare bed, and proposed to use it to grow seed crops for the sale to plotholders. That was supported.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue reminded the Committee that PPAA subs, £5, are now due. Ian proposed reminder notices at the manure pens. Martin offered to laminate those. AP Martin.

Plot holders are encouraged to pay their subs by direct debit.

PPAA BANK DETAILS: Important. Please quote your plot number in the reference (sometimes “comment”.)

account number: 02568231

sort code: 309894

Alternatively, cash may be handed to a Committee member, or posted through Sue’s letterbox. Don’t forget your plot number!

New Agenda Items – Jenny.

Shop – Ian. Ian said that between the Committee and general plot holders, there were about six volunteers willing to share the running of a shop operation. On that basis, he suggested that the idea was viable, and he proposed that by the next meeting there would be a paper, of firm proposals, on which, it is to be hoped, the full Committee could vote. AP Ian et al.

AGM 2019 – Jenny. Jenny reminded the Committee that the AGM was now not that far off, and invited members to consider items for its agenda.

Any Other Business

Plot inspections – Sue. Sue said that she would recommence plot inspections, for abandoned or neglected plots etc. in the early spring.

Plant sale sowings – Ian. Ian said that he would soon be sowing for the spring plant sale.

Any plot holder, who has a particular preference or suggestion, as to what subjects they would like, is cordially invited by Ian to pass on that helpful information to him. Please email: ian

Water trough clean-outs – Ray. Ray suggested, that the remaining time that the water supply was turned off would be the only opportunity to clean out the troughs for some time. A dedicated day in February was provisionally agreed. AP all.

General volunteers are invited to inspect the troughs nearby, and any help that they might give in cleaning them would be very gratefully received by the Committee, as were their fine efforts in 2018.

Ray also proposed encouraging plot holders to participate in the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch – re birds on their plots – and suggested that if Alex were able, then further publicity be given on the website.

Click here for more details: RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1947. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 05/02/2019, at 1900.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 7 November 2018

Minutes for PPAA Committee meeting, 7th November at Butchers Arms, Canton

Present: Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer), Richard Masterman, Ray Edwards

Apologies: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Daniel Phillips, Ian Douglas, Martin Pasek

1. Installation of owl boxes

Richard and Ian have fixed one box to a tree and will do the other one soon. They were able to do this themselves saving £250 on installation costs. Many thanks to Ian and Richard for this work.

2. Shop

We briefly discussed the various issues around the shop, including volunteers, building work, stock etc. We agreed that it would be useful to have a T&F (Task and Finish) group to meet separately and report back to the committee with proposals. AP Ray, Richard, Ian

3. Tools

Richard reported that two strimmers and one rotovator are renovated. They will be available to loan out to plotholders once risk assessment and insurance issues are resolved. It is thought that Sue may already have looked into this, so we will wait to hear her views before taking the matter further. One rotovator was not possible to renovate and will be scrapped/used for spares. Other tools considered inappropriate for the Committee to hire out (including chainsaws) may be sold. Richard will prepare a list to accompany future minutes when ready. AP Richard

4. Litterpick

Ray has organised a litter pick on Saturday 17th November at 10.30 – 12.30. Bags and pickers will be supplied by Dave King (Cardiff Rivers Group) for the occasion. Meet by the shop. AP Ray

5. Communal compost bins

Wendy raised this issue because the bins are overflowing on to the adjacent paths, and also full of rubbish being dumped by inconsiderate people, including plant pots, plastic netting, old pallets, broken tools and pernicious weeds. Plotholders are requested to STOP using these bins for the time being until we decide what action to take.

6. Hedgehogs

Hedgehogs should be in hibernation, but the warm weather means they are still around. Wendy explained that she has followed online instructions to create a ramp so that hedgehogs who fall in ponds can get back out. Instructions are attached to these minutes in case plotholders want to follow her example. AP Ray

7. Site plan

Richard said that the site plan is now out of date. He proposes to update it. Ray suggested we arrange a site walk about in December/January. AP Richard, Ray

8. Date of next meeting

5th December at 7pm, Butchers Arms, Canton. Meeting finished 18.55

2019 Polytunnel Bed Draw

The PPAA committee is pleased to announce that seven growing beds in the PPAA polytunnel will be available to plot holders for the 2019 growing season.

Anyone wishing to enter the ballot should send a note stating their intention and include their name and plot number

By email:  pontcannapermallotments@gmail.com

Or by post: Sue Jones (Site Secretary)

4 Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff, CF11 9JP

Ballot Closing Date 10th December 2018

The draw will take place in late December and the results posted.

Conditions for entry

  1. Entrants must be a plot holder with a valid 2018 tenancy agreement and also be a current member of the PPAA (have paid their £5 annual PPAA subs).
  2. Only the plot holder named on the plot tenancy may apply, and only one application per plot will be allowed
  3. Successful candidates cannot sublet or transfer their growing bed to other plot holders.
  4. Should a successful candidate cease to be a tenancy holder or PPAA member in 2019, then their bed will be reallocated
  5. The use of the bed is only for the one growing season. A fresh ballot will be held for 2020
  6. In the event of a large number of applications applicants who have already had a bed for two consecutive seasons will be exempt from the draw.

Minutes of Pontcanna Permanent Allotment Association – 3 October 2018

Present: Sue Jones (Site Secretary), Richard Masterman, Ian Douglas, Ray Edwards, Martin Pasek (Operational Support) Apologies: Alex Brown, Dan Phillips, Jenny Howell (Chair), Wendy Gunter (Treasurer). General attendees: None.

This meeting was chaired by Sue Jones.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Sue.

Owl nesting boxes – Richard.  Ray has found a likely preferential quote. Whatever the outcome however, the installation is to go ahead without further delay, either on that or on an earlier one. AP Richard, Ray.

Shop and power tool hire – Richard. There has been no further feedback from plot holders generally, to enable the available volunteer effort to run a shop to be ascertained. However, Ian, Richard and Ray expressed enthusiasm for such an operation, and suggested that if the appearance of the premises were made more attractive and business-like, then that would perhaps inspire demand and interest on the site. Ian proposed some improvements, and Site Secretary said that given the uncertainties, this expenditure would probably amount to “risk capital”. She proposed raising a spending ceiling on this, as an agenda item at the next Meeting.

PPAA funds are public money, and so the Committee are required to show Due Diligence, before investing in any business operation.

Having had them serviced and safety-checked, Richard has now finalised the viable power tools for the next growing season, and it was agreed to sell the surplus. Any hire or loan to plot holders remains subject to the necessary insurance and staffing availability, however. AP Richard, Wendy.

Litter pick and Committee walk-about – Ray. Ray proposed both of these activities for the weekend of 17th-18th November. AP Ray.

New Agenda Items – Sue.

Site Secretary’s report. Sue said that the Council’s allotments officer had visited site, and that there had been a helpful and constructive conversation on all issues. In particular, what the Committee hope are temporary difficulties were identified, as a reason for some of the problems recently experienced.

Water meter readings will be taken, and the water turned off at the end of October. AP Sue.

Any Other Business

There was no further business, and the meeting ended at 1935. The next meeting will again be at the Butcher’s Arms Canton, on Wednesday 07/11//2018, at 1900.