The Website Team understand that the following MailChimp email announcement has been distributed to plot holders who consented to email contact by Dan Phillips, PPAA Committee polytunnel co-ordinator and MailChimp controller:
PPAA Expressions Of Interest For Polytunnel Beds 2023
You may be aware from the October Committee minutes that, as part of the work to improve site-wide facilities, the PPAA Committee agreed proposals to increase use of the polytunnel by building additional beds for plot holders, reducing storage in the polytunnel by utilising the adjacent shipping containers, while also retaining areas for plant sale preparation.
The key elements agreed were:
- The beds will be allocated for the growing season 1st March to 31st January to broadly align with plot tenancies (2nd Feb to 1st Feb) and allow bed holders to maximise use of beds over winter.
- The ballot will be held in February each year.
- We are moving to an allocation for two growing seasons (March to January) with 6 beds to be allocated for 24 months each year. As part of the transition, for 2023 the existing beds will be allocated for 12 months and the additional 6 beds (which will be built by a working group over the next month) will be allocated for 24 months.
- Conditions for entry to the ballot:
- Entrants must be a PPAA plot holder with a valid council tenancy agreement for the coming year and be a paid-up member of the PPAA (£5.00 annual subs).
- Only the plot holder named on the tenancy may apply and only one application per plot is allowed.
- Successful candidates cannot sublet or transfer their plots to other plot holders.
- A new ballot will be held each season. Half the beds will be allocated and drawn each year. If a bed becomes vacant during its allocated term it will be reallocated for the remainder of the term.
- Successful applicants will be charged £5 pa towards polytunnel upkeep.
- Should a successful candidate cease to be a tenancy holder then their grow bed will be forfeit and reallocated.
- In the event of a large number of applications, applicants who have already had a grow bed for two consecutive seasons will be ineligible for the draw.
Expressions of interest are sought from PPAA plot holders who meet the criteria. A single draw will be held for the current and new grow beds. As part of moving to a two-year allocation, the 6 existing beds will be allocated for 12 months and additional 6 beds that will be built by the working group over the next month will be allocated for 24 months. Volunteers are sought to build the 6 new beds and the other works.
Expressions of interest are requested by 1st February. To express interest and enter the 2023 draw, please contact the Committee and confirm you accept the conditions above and include:
- Plot number
- PPAA subscriber for 2023/24
- Council tenancy fees paid for 2023/24
- Whether able to join polytunnel working party.
The draw will be held by 8th February and beds will be allocated from 1st March.
If you haven’t paid your subs yet, BACS transfer is the easiest way to pay, and the Committee’s preferred option. Further details here.